If you’ve ever spent any amount of time searching the internet or popular magazines for information about testosterone or testosterone replacement therapy, you’re surely aware of how difficult it is to find reliable information. The source you’re currently looking at probably contradicts one of the sources you previously looked at, and you may not be sure where to turn for reliable information. In today’s post, we’ll address some of the most common questions we receive about testosterone and testosterone replacement therapy.
Men’s Vitality Center in Tucson is Arizona’s go-to resource for testosterone replacement therapy, weight loss management, and a variety of other men’s health services. We’ve helped hundreds of men in Tucson restore their testosterone to healthy levels, and we would love to help you restore yours as well. Contact our office today to learn more about what we can do for you.
Questions About Low Testosterone
How Can I Tell If My Testosterone Levels Are Low?
The symptoms of low testosterone are what prompt most men to have their testosterone levels checked. Some of the most common symptoms of low testosterone levels include, but are not limited to:
- Weight Gain – If your weight has suddenly increased without a coinciding change in your diet or activity levels, your testosterone levels may be to blame. Testosterone plays a key role in your body’s metabolism, and the majority of men with low testosterone levels find themselves gaining weight easily and without explanation.
- Muscle Weakness – Testosterone is responsible for maintaining muscle mass, and one of the most common symptoms of low testosterone is muscle weakness and wasting. If you notice that your muscle mass is declining and you’re having trouble lifting objects that were once easy for you to pick up, your testosterone levels may be the cause.
- Fatigue – Are you feeling tired and run-down frequently? Many men with low testosterone levels report feeling lethargic and unrested throughout the day, even if they slept well the night before. Consult a doctor if you discover that you’re regularly feeling more tired than usual.
- Depression and Anxiety – Depression and general feelings of irritability and anxiousness are some of the most prominent and common symptoms caused by low testosterone levels. These symptoms often occur alongside a feeling of demotivation and a lack of interest in hobbies, relationships, and responsibilities. While each of these symptoms can be caused by conditions other than low testosterone levels, it’s important that you speak with a doctor as soon as you begin to experience them.
- Sexual Dysfunction – Of all the symptoms we’ve listed, sexual dysfunction is the most common reason that men come to us for testosterone replacement therapy. While the terms “sexual dysfunction” and “erectile dysfunction” are often used anonymously, they’re importantly different. Sexual dysfunction is a broad category that includes symptoms such as erectile dysfunction, but it also includes symptoms like low libido and infertility. If you notice that you’re having trouble sustaining an erection or your libido has suddenly declined, our doctors can help you address the problem confidently and effectively.
Though these symptoms are all common in men with low testosterone levels, they are also symptoms of conditions that have nothing to do with testosterone levels. The only way to know if your testosterone levels are causing your symptoms with certainty is to undergo a blood test. Our doctors will order a blood test if they suspect that your testosterone levels might be low. These tests are generally performed in the morning when testosterone levels are at their highest, so please prepare accordingly.
Is Testosterone Replacement Therapy Safe?
Yes, testosterone replacement therapy is safe. While men with conditions such as heart disease and a family history of colon cancer are generally warned to be cautious with testosterone replacement therapy, the data show that testosterone replacement therapy has few negative side effects.
Many of the claims that testosterone replacement therapy is unsafe or ineffective are made by men who purchased testosterone creams, patches, and gels. These products deliver inconsistent amounts of testosterone, making it difficult to effectively treat the symptoms of low testosterone levels. At Men’s Vitality Center, we use bio-identical testosterone injections that have been approved by the FDA. Injections deliver consistent doses of testosterone directly into the bloodstream, and we schedule our injections every seven days to ensure that our patients are receiving the most effective treatment possible.
How Long Will It Take to See Results?
Each case is different, but the majority of men who begin testosterone replacement therapy with us see an improvement in their symptoms between days 14 and 21 of treatment. Testosterone replacement therapy is even more effective when combined with lifestyle changes such as frequent exercise and an improved diet. We find that the best approach to restoring our patients’ health is to view their treatment holistically, and we offer other services like weight loss management that can help you lose weight and become even healthier.
Will My Insurance Cover Testosterone Replacement Therapy?
Most insurance providers will cover testosterone replacement therapy. The best way to find out if your insurance will cover your treatment is to call and speak with a representative. Men’s Vitality Center currently accept the following insurance providers:
Blue Cross Blue Shield
You may still be eligible for benefits through your insurance provider, even if they’re not included in the list above. We also have out-of-pocket options for patients who are not covered by an insurance provider, and we offer affordable cash prices that can help you get the services you need. Please call our front desk to request more information.
We hope that you have found this post informative and helpful. If you’re experiencing any of the symptoms we discussed in this post, or if you’re wondering about your testosterone levels, just reach out to our office! We’re happy to bring you in for a consultation regarding your symptoms. Get in touch with Men’s Vitality Center in Tucson at 520-399-6574 or through our website to request more information.