As type 2 diabetes becomes a more prevalent diagnosis a better understanding of risk factors and unhealthy lifestyle choices must at the forefront of any diabetes management plan. Type 2 diabetes can be controlled if a physician is made aware, but often this comes later down the road. This form of diabetes does not affect every person, but there are certain factors that increase the risk of developing diabetes. Individuals who are already struggling with a diagnosis should contact Men’s Vitality Center in Tucson to learn more about our diabetes management programs. We can help you get your diabetes under control so you can enjoy your life.
In order to better understand diabetes, it is important to understand the risk factors that may be associated with developing type 2 diabetes:
- Heredity: A family history of diabetes increases the risk for developing this illness.
- Race & Ethnicity: Certain races and ethnicities have a higher likelihood of being diagnosed with diabetes; African-Americans, Latinos, Hispanic-American, Latino-Americans, Pacific Islanders, Asian-Americans, and Native Americans.
- Age: The risk of type 2 diabetes increases with age.
- Obesity: The higher the BMI, the higher chance of being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
- Inactive Lifestyle: Inactivity can lead to obesity and excess glucose within the blood.
- High Cholesterol: High levels of bad cholesterol can increase the risk of any cardiovascular disease. It also means unhealthy foods are being consumed on a regular basis. Both can lead to diabetes.
- Hypertension: Untreated hypertension has been linked to the eventual development of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
When you have concerns about whether or not you are at risk for developing type 2 diabetes, or you would like to be tested for prediabetes, contact Men’s Vitality Center. We offer diabetes management programs in Tucson that encompass diet, exercise, and other educational tools.