Understanding cholesterol can be very difficult without specialized knowledge of the human body. High cholesterol is becoming a bigger issue among Americans, and the instance of diagnosis is on the rise. Misconceptions about cholesterol are leading people to have a fear of cholesterol in all forms. What many people do not know is that there are bad and good forms of cholesterol. For individuals who are battling high cholesterol issues, contact Men’s Vitality Center in Tucson to learn more about our reliable and effective cholesterol management options!
To fix the misconceptions about cholesterol, here are 10 things that everyone should know:
- There are two forms of cholesterol; high density lipoproteins (HDL) and low density lipoproteins (LDL). HDL is also known as good cholesterol, while LDL is known as bad cholesterol.
- The human body needs cholesterol to function correctly. Natural cholesterol is created in the liver and is utilized to create hormones, and regulate vitamins, and is used to create bile among other uses.
- Cholesterol is necessary to form hormones that are related to sexual characteristics; testosterone and estrogen.
- Pregnant women will naturally produce more LDL cholesterol to aid in gestation.
- Even children can be plagued by high cholesterol issues.
- Most foods Americans enjoy are high in cholesterol.
- Everyday diets can play a huge part in whether or not an individual is diagnosed with high cholesterol.
- Aerobic exercise helps decrease LDL levels while increasing HDL levels. Higher HDL levels helps to regulate bad cholesterol by transporting LDL to the liver.
- Shrimp and eggs are high in dietary cholesterol, but are not considered “bad” foods.
- High cholesterol levels can negatively affect cardiovascular health.
The cholesterol management programs at Men’s Vitality Center in Tucson, AZ can help men better understand cholesterol. They can also help manage and treat high cholesterol issues effectively with unparalleled physician guided diet and exercise programs. Call today to make an appointment.